Sperm Donor Nightmare

 Like many women, I had not found Mr. Right, and my biological clock was ringing loud and clear. I was 40 years old and realized if I wanted to become a mother, it was now-or-never. Perhaps selfishly, I wanted my own biological child. As a special education teacher, I had taught many emotionally disturbed children who had been adopted. I figured if I had my own child, I would at least know half of his/her genetic background. The other half had to come from someone male, obviously, so I decided to use an anonymous sperm donor. At least he would have been screened for STDs and a few other genetic disorders. It seemed safer than having an "accident" with someone I hardly knew. I didn't know if I was doing the right thing, having a child without a father, so I left it up to God. I made a deal: I would try three times, and if it was meant to happen, it would. I did not realize at the time how difficult it can be for a 40 year old woman to conceive. My odds were about 5% per month.

 

I did my homework and discovered a sperm bank in Florida that appealed to me. It still is the only non-profit sperm bank in the US, and it limited a donor's offspring to 10 families, which I thought was very responsible. Also, they were the only facility at the time who offered "Yes" donors-meaning that the donor was willing to be identified when the child turned 18. I thought it was important that my child be able to know the other half of his/her identity. My mother, who was always my personal cheerleader, and I went over their catalog and chose five "Yes" donors and one back-up "No" donor. All of the other "Yes" donors were either short and/or chubby, and as my body tends toward chubby, I wanted to give my child a chance to inherit a better body!

 

Being 40, my doctor felt it was important to test my fertility. He put me on Clomid to do a "challenge," to see if my old ovaries responded well. The chance of my having twins was increased by encouraging my ovaries to produce more than one egg, but I decided to take that chance. I called the bank to order the sperm, only to discover than the five "Yes" donors were out-of-stock. Being reluctant to give up so soon when I was primed and ready, I ordered the "No" donor's sperm. He was over six feet tall, slender, blonde, blue-eyed, and had a master's degree. A woman at the facility told me he was "very popular." Two vials are usually needed to perform insemination on two consecutive days, but only one was available. I paid for the sperm and delivery on dry ice by FedEx, thinking it probably wouldn't work anyway. I'd try to get a "Yes" donor next month.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are You Buying The Right Health Insurance Plan? Read This

Factors That Influence the Cost of Health Insurance

About Health Insurance Policies